St Andrews Preservation Trust

Over the years of the Trust’s History there have been many accomplishments and milestones.  Below is a catalogue of the many evolving activities that have come from the group which first met in December 1937 to found the St Andrews Preservation Trust.  The successes of this enterprise are due entirely to the unfailing commitment of innumerable individuals over the years.

  • 1937  1st December, Public Meeting decides to form Trust
  • 1938  1st March, St Andrews Preservation Trust formally constituted
  • 1939   Acquisition of Louden’s Close and 11 South Castle Street
  • 1943   Trust first asked for views on planning matters
  • 1950   Acquisition of old Burgher Kirk, Imrie’s Close
  • 1937  1st December, Public Meeting decides to form Trust
  • 1938  1st March, St Andrews Preservation Trust formally constituted
  • 1939   Acquisition of Louden’ Close and 11 South Castle Street
  • 1943   Trust first asked for views on planning matters
  • 1950   Acquisition of old Burgher Kirk, Imrie’s Close
  • 1974  St Andrews Town Council ceases to exist
  • 1975  Acquisition of 14/15 Fleming Place
  • 1975  Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother visits Trust House in North Street (now the Museum)
  • 1975  The Earl of Crawford and Balcarres, the Trust’s longest serving President dies (1958-1972) 
  • 1979   Acquisition of Bell Rock House
  • 1982  Miss Annabel Kidston, ‘the founding spirit of the Trust’ ,dies
  • 1982   The Trust Museum opens
  • 1983   First St Andrews Local Plan produced
  • 1988   50th Anniversary Celebrations of the Trust
  • 1992   Trust moves to office at 4 Queen’s Gardens
  • 1993   Acquisition of land at the rear of the Museum
  • 1993   Death of Hew Lorimer, The Trust’s longest serving Chairman (1958-72)
  • 1994   Public Inquiry into revised St Andrews Local Plan
  • 1995   North East Fife District Council disbanded
  • 1997   Green Belt Campaign launched
  • 1998   First Hidden Gardens Day
  • 1998   St Andrews Strategic Study published
  • 1999   Kingask proposal first put forward
  • 1999   Ronald Cant, founder member of the Trust dies
  • 2000   A Judicial Review on the Kingask proposal and Public Inquiry into the Scooniehill proposal
  • 2000   Green Belt for St Andrews first rejected then accepted by Fife Council
  • 2002   Pride of Place Scheme launched
  • 2002   Scottish Museums Council award the Trust Museum full registration status
  • 2003   Massive development plans proposed for west of the town